Monday, June 12, 2006

Grass-Roots Music...
So, I know that for you music fans out there you are probably wondering how soon I will discuss music... Well, I thought I’d start with discussing my view of the music industry as it stands now. Pretty good starting point, I think. Music has always been a craft, but it seems that nowadays it has gotten intertwined with business a bit too much. Most music is determined as "successful" by it's popularity. And how is "popular" defined? By what a major label corporate executive thinks the "kids will love". Corporations have destroyed the old outlet of music... the radio station. There used to be great independent or college radio type stations around, but now Clear Channel seems to own every radio station and makes them sound like a cookie cutter American Idol episode. So where does one go to find good music? I think true music has now mostly resurfaced in podcasts and satellite radio. Don't get me wrong. I am not totally discounting college radio, because there are some good non-corporate radio stations still around. Hopefully they survive without being swallowed up by the corporations. I consider finding good music something worth telling my friend about. That grass roots movement is a great way to pass along info. I hope to pass along some good bands I have heard during my posts here. I'd love to hear your thoughts or input.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home