Saturday, April 12, 2008

Post-punk music...
Lately, I have started reading a book called "Rip it up and start again : postpunk 1978-1984" by Simon Reynolds. According to the inset, the author is a senior editor at Spin magazine. I was perusing the music section one day at my local bookstore and this book jumped out at me. Perhaps of all the music styles from this time period I find that post-punk (click here for a definition of post-punk) to be the most interesting to me. After all, this style was influenced and based in punk music, but it later blossoms into other styles such as new wave, college rock, alternative, and indie. Most modern alternative music can be considered punk based and post-punk is the first step towards what we now understand as "indie" music. The author of the book seems to have lived through a lot of this musical time period and offers a great history from his own experience and interviews with the artists from this period. I have started learning more of the post-punk 'scenes' at this time. Most of which took place somewhere in England (where a majority of these bands were from). The book contains an insightful look into all these bands. Some of the most famous bands of this style include bands such as Joy Division, Talking Heads, Public Image Ltd., Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Wire, Devo, etc. The author gives the history of most of these bands and their scenes throughout the time. In addition, the author discusses the reasons and shifts in sound for post-punk's rise and fall. The book lists that the author's website contains lots of extra footage, news, links, blog and info on his website. If you are at all interested in this style I would recommend checking out his website (http://www.simonreynolds.net) or grab his book to read. Both are packed with great information on modern day indie music origins and history.

4 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although you always hear about bands like Devo or Mission of Burma or Wire leading the punk (or post-punk) charge, what the average music fan (such as I in this case), does not normally get to dive into is the history of how these bands came about and what made them become the bands they are/were. It sounds like an interesting read.

I just recording on IFC a documentary titled "Punk: Attitude" on the NY punk scene but post-punk seems more relevant and interesting to today's current music scene. Even leading up to the late 80's/early 90's with bands like Fugazi, it would be cool to read about their punk uprisings (although Fugazi is somewhat of a known and standard staple).

Another book I haven't gotten around to reading yet but is in the same vein is by Michael Azerrad "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 81-91". It crosses the history of bands like Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth and The Minutemen (not to mention Mission of Burma). I need to just start reading this one. It's been on my shelf (or in my box of stuff) for about 3 months now!

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, ^^^^^

signed,

Eric (above)

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Kmo said...

Yeah, I am finding very fascinating some of the reasons of change in sounds between punk and post-punk as well as some great history on the bands. I actually saw the Punk Attitude documentary that you mentioned. That was very interesting and probably got me into some of the punk bands. I'll have to check out the book you suggested.. Sounds like something I would be interested in as well.

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. I was able to reserve it from a local library. It should arrive at my library in Brunswick within the week. That should give me enough time to finish a book I'm reading on Identity Theft (not as good as a music book or bio).

E.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home