Monday, April 23, 2007

New music bonanza!
Some new notable band releases that just happened or will happen shortly: Arcade Fire - Neon Bible, Bright Eyes - Cassadaga, Voxtrot - self-titled LP. So here is my take on this new music...

Arcade Fire-Neon Bible: Can I tell you how much I love the organ addition? Neon Bible rock's just like their previous album, but the addition of the organ seems somewhat appropriate and fitting, I think. After listening quite a few times I have to say that, similar to the new Killer's album, they have been bit by the "Bruce Springsteen bug" , it seems, most notably on the song "Antichrist Television Blues". They have also added some pretty interesting instruments... cue the hurdy gurdy on "Keep the Car Running". Yes, it is an actual instrument. Google it! Overall, I think this CD is an excellent follow-up to their debut CD. I even got the actual CD with packaging since it just looked way too cool.... My favorite tracks: "Keep the Car Running" , "Intervention".

Bright Eyes-Cassadaga: This new CD is good, but arguably not the best they have done. I think that it definitely sounds more produced than their previous albums. In addition, there are some good songs and some OK songs. It seemed to not stand up to the other classics of Oberst. Overall, still good and worth buying though. One thing pretty creative was the packaging. The CD includes a decoder which reveals artwork in the seemingly plain gray packaging. Nice touch! My favorites on the CD are "Four Winds", "Soul Singer in a Session Band"

Voxtrot- self-titled LP: This due to be released May 22nd. I am one of the fans who has been waiting for a while for their first LP. What I have heard so far on the songs they have on their my space page, I think the album will be great! In addition, on Voxtrot's website they have a link posted to videos of the making of the LP released weekly. I also will be checking these guys out in concert next month!

Anyway, that is it for the new music... Any thoughts on these bands or other new releases that stand out?

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and I love this album too! Keep the Car Running is great. I didn't realize there was a hurdy gurdy though.

We saw Decemberists in concert a few weeks ago. They too have an organist. For one song, she played a pump organ! And they had a hurdy gurdy too on one song. So musically talented they are.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Kmo said...

Yes, the hurdy gurdy is a pretty cool sounding instrument. It is actually a "wheel fiddle" that sounds kinda like a cross between a stringed instrument and bagpipes.. I can also see the Decemberists using this too as they are into the folk instruments. I haven't had a chance yet to see them in concert.. They are on my long list.. Both bands greatly talented!

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home