Friday, April 25, 2008

Record Store Day
This is a little bit after the fact, but last Saturday April 19, 2008 was Record Store Day across the nation. As I've mentioned here on my blog previously, the independent record store is something that is in decline with online downloads (iTunes, etc.). Hopefully, you all had a chance to go to your local record store and support the local business. I even saw some stores had performances by bands. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any. I contributed by forsaking my urge to buy a few CDs at the Virgin Megastore.. and ended up buying a few CD's at my local store. If you didn't get a chance to share in this great endeavor.. not to worry. You can still participate now by going down to your local CD store! Check out the website for a review of the event from around the country: http://www.recordstoreday.com The website also has a good listing to find your local CD store (if you don't know already). If you want to cherish the whole indie record store vibe, might I suggest renting or buying the following movies: "Empire Records" and "High Fidelity". They should get you in the right mood! Oh and your welcome!

1 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went hog wild a few Saturdays. Bull Moose, the local record store up here in Maine had tons of free CD samplers and vinyl! There was ever a Merge 7" freebee. They gave out Sub Pop, Redeye, RED distribution, VICE, Editors B-sides, and many others. On top of that, I bought the new Helio Sequence, Cloud Cult and Kooks CD. In addition, the clerk gave me a copy of the new Elbow CD just because I asked about the new CD that was going to be released that Tuesday. I think it was more of a fabricated event than most would like to believe. For example, the store wasn't very full even at 12 in the afternoon but it was a gallant effort and hopefully the few of us who care enough to help the little guys, helped pay for at least another month's rent for the indie record store to survive...for now.

Eric

 

Post a Comment

<< Home