Wednesday, January 05, 2011

My Favorite albums of 2010..

Well, it's been a while.. I wanted to share my favorite album releases of 2010. I may do a follow-up favorite movies of the year. As always, these are what I have heard.. I am always interested in hearing what you all are listening too as well! As an added bonus I included 2 extra songs! Woohoo!

22. Surfer Blood : Astro Coast
21. Stars : The Five Ghosts
20. Clinic : Bubblegum
19. Spoon : Transference
18. Jonsi : Go
17. Band of Horses : Infinite Arms
16: Sufjan Stevens : The Age of Adz
15. The National : High Violet
14. The Drums : The Drums
13. Delta Spirit : History From Below
12. Belle & Sebastian : Write About Love
11. Local Natives : Gorilla Manor
10. Interpol : Interpol
9. MGMT : Congratulations
8. Broken Bells : Broken Bells
7. Yeasayer : Odd Blood
6. The Soft Pack : The Soft Pack
5. Vampire Weekend : Contra
4. Arcade Fire : The Suburbs
3. Mumford & Sons : Sigh No More
2. Wolf Parade : Expo 86
1. The Walkmen : Lisbon


2 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger neilometer said...

I'm intrigued by how much you like The Walkmen. What is it about them that you like? I mean, was it a particular sound, lyric, live performance even, that initially hooked you, or did it happen more slowly, like after you listened to the whole album a few times?

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Kmo said...

Yes, I sure do love The Walkmen! It sounds like from your statement that you don’t like them much yourself? I think they would be one of my ‘desert island bands’ – I like them that much! I think I primarily like them because of their sound. Specifically, I think their sound is based in the traditional garage rock / punk style. That style in particular I have come to find is something I really like and appreciate the most. Additionally, their sound also expands this garage rock style a little further by adding a lo fi sound and other instruments. So I think they have been able to really take this style to new and more artistic and creative levels. On top of this, I think the lead singer, Hamilton, has a remarkable similarity in sound to Lou Reed or Bob Dylan in the way he sings. I am a huge fan of Lou Reed (and the influential Velvet Underground too) and so this similarity further reinforces my love for the band. Secondly, I like them a lot because they used to be on my favorite local NYC (specifically –Brooklyn) indie label (Startime International). This label has since been bought out by Beggars Group so it is not local anymore. I really liked most everything on this small label because they all have a similar NYC garage rock sound and ushered in a renaissance of garage rock in the early ‘00’s. My interest and respect for the band has probably grown throughout the years as I have come to realize that this style of music is perhaps one of my favorites. I own all 6 of their CD’s (plus their original EP!) and they are all really good. I think their sound has really matured through the last 10 years and they have managed to stay fresh while maintaining the same core sound that I like most on their earlier albums. I only had a chance recently to see them live – and I enjoyed that greatly. I hope to see them when they come to NYC again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home