Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Support your local record store...
I was just thinking today I hadn't been to my local record store in a few weeks. That is a long time for me. I usually go every 2 weeks or so. I really enjoy going to the record store and browsing for new music. In fact, I have found that my local record store is even more cost effective than any big name chain store. I know these stores can buy in bulk and offer cheaper CD's, but my local store sells used CD's for around $2-$7. This is great news since I prefer having the CD as opposed to downloading. I like having the CD artwork that is included in the album. I think that the artwork is part of the artistic statement of the CD. I still do download, but I always count it a bonus when I can get a copy of the CD from the store. In addition, my local record shop has a great selection of underground bands. I think they get their good selection by stations or other music outlets passing along their CD's to be sold used... I also know that the people who work at my record store are as passionate about music as me. They remind me of the people in the movie High Fidelity with John Cusak. The record shop in there had some true "music nerds" or "rock snobs". They loved it and were admittedly a little stuck up about it, but for good reason. So before you start thinking how much of a music nerd I am - I want to remind you that John Cusak was a bigger nerd in that movie than me. I don't have a list of breakup songs or have arranged my CD's autobiographically.. :-) Anyway, I would encourage you to keep your local record store in business. It is the life of the local music scene. If you need suggestions of some good record stores in NYC, Philly, or NJ I can help out.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KMO, it's me, Michaelyn.

I could have sworn you did at one time have your CD's in alpha order...maybe it was someone else...:)

For a lot of my retail needs, you will either find me shopping on line, by catolog and or visiting the smaller shops in town. I enjoy the service I recieve with the smaller shops. When it comes to music, I cannot stand when I go into a music store and the store associates have no clue what I am talking about or looking for.

This is not the case with a store to which I frequent in a town not to far from where I live. In fact it is not to far from an other little town in Kingston, NJ. Everytime, I need something, those that work there, know exactly what I am talking about and where to find it. I haven't been to that little shop on the corner lately. But when I do go, I take someone new to experience the thrill of it all.

You get some extra chocolate...:) for keeping the small shops in business.

Oh and I love the vacation picks!

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Kmo said...

You are right I sort by alphabetical order and then by release date. John Cusak did his autobiographically. :-) I do agree with the service you receive. In a lot of the big stores people tend to be less interested in what they are doing. Another good reason to go to the local CD store.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home